Friday, January 8, 2010

Richard John Neuhaus, 1936–2009

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Reposted from last year
THURSDAY, JANUARY 8, 2009

Requiescat In Pace

Richard John Neuhaus, 1936–2009
Thursday, January 8, 2009, 10:15 AM 

Fr. Richard John Neuhaus slipped away today, January 8, shortly before 10 o’clock at the age of seventy-two. He never recovered from the weakness that sent him to the hospital the day after Christmas, caused by a series of side effects from the cancer he was suffering. He lost consciousness Tuesday evening after a collapse in his heart rate, and the next day, in the company of friends, he died.
Me? This ain't about me. But since we're talking about me what the heck. I always enjoy Father Neuhous' Public Square stuff in First Things. And he responded -- quickly, personally and wittily-- to a note I once sent him from San Diego. I'll get back to you if I can dig out that letter he sent me.
Rest in Peace, Father.
May Light Perpetual shine upon you.
___________________
Update update: Nice round-up in Sunday's (1/11/09) NRO. Yeah, you'll probably have to scroll down.
Update: One of the few things the NYTimes still does well -- an obituary.

No comments: