Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ida Lupino

Okay, it seems to be Ida Lupino day over at Dirty Harry's place.
By the time you read this and if you follow the link to Dirty Harry's you may have to scroll on down to see why I'm thinking it's Ida Lupino day over there.
Those few of you who have been reading on this blog since its beginning may remember that it started as a roadtrip blog. Yeah. When I was prepping for that trip I Told JMax I was taking my MacBook along on my roadtrip so not to worry, I'd be emailing her from distant places.
"Email?" she spat, "I don't want no stinking email. I want a blog." Hence Boom Boom Boom.
When I saw Dirty Harry featuring Ida Lupino today, it took me back to JMax's orders, and it took me back to that 2007 road trip -- that one along the border, along the fence, the one from border crossing to border crossing, the one where on my way back I followed the Rio Grande from Boquillas Del Carmen to Santa Fe.
Well, followed the Rio where I could.
And if you ever looked at my self-portrait up over there to the right, you gotta believe me when I say the Rio's right down there past me -- and yeah, that's Mexico in the background.
What's any'o'that to do with Dirty Harry or anything?
My first two posts, before I headed out that summer, before I'd hit the road, while I was still sitting here, sitting out back with the laptop, when I was just trying to figure out how BlogSpot works, those first two posts featured: Miss Lupino. Yeah, acoupla summers ago.
Here and here.
Can you tell I like Ida?
Anyway, it's good to see Miss Lupino again, ain't it?
And it's always good to see a lady who knows how to handle a gun.

Or if you don't want to scroll at Dirty Harry's where she's up twice today just look here and for a video of Ida smoking and singing look here. Thanks DH.

And that picture above, where Ida's whipping the pistol? I swiped that from somewhere in the archives of K. Silem Mohammad's Lost in the Frame. Thanks KSM. And oh, Mohammad describes the photo something like this: Ida Lupino on the brink of deciding not to pistol-whip Alan Curtis in Raoul Walsh's 1941 High Sierra.
What else do we know about Ida Lupino? Ida generally makes the correct choice. Or if not, if she chooses badly, she takes full responsibility for the results of her bad stuff. She's all woman that way, all the time.

No comments: