Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Homiletics

I have a friend, a young entrepreneur, about to jump into professional success with his artistry and his business acumen.

He sometimes calls and says “I’m hungry; got time? Let’s go eat.” So we sometimes eat together and talk together. Or, we both eat and he talks while I listen. I pipe up now and again, at which time he generally gets what I’m saying, rejects it, or (more likely!) grabs it and runs with it, leaving me, appropriately, to listen anew while watching a fine young mind at work.

I’m old enough to be his dad, surely; perhaps his granddad, I'm not sure, and don't want to do the math; so beside the affection that’s between us there’s also the pleasure I experience that a young man spends time with me, asks me from time to time what do I know, what do I think, what should he do, all the while reminding me of, and sharing with me, and letting me witness the sweet realities of growing into an intelligent, ordered manhood while figuring things out.

Yes, I like that he seeks me out, I like that out of nowhere, thank God – he says that a lot: Thank God – that out of nowhere a new friend arrived in my world. Mysterious ways, yes?

Recently we met for coffee, sat for a few hours, talked a little about his personal stuff, then for a long time about his business and his business plans and ideas, then went to eat some dinner. When we walked into the restaurant all the youngish workers there smiled at his arrival, some said his name, called out to him, greeting him happily, welcoming him back, all were glad to see him again. Such is the pleasing, effortless effect his grace has on those around him.

He asked what was good that night, what was fresh, ordered his food, stepped aside for me. I asked for the same and added a bowl of soup, please. We took a table and sat to talk some more.

Shameful Aside: He is the only adult I know here in my current world – besides my beloved Aunties – who stops to say grace before a meal taken in public. This both pleases me in its rightness and shames me for my own gratitudinal laxness. Yes, I do better in this regard since knowing him, thank God, and yes, I still remember how. Thanks, Mom.

During our dinner conversation that night, among other topics, and while dipping his spoon into my bowl of soup, he said to me, said aloud for the first time, said as if trying out the words, said: that he's considering becoming a pastor.

Here I’ll skip some of this part of that night’s story, except to say that I knew this from the first day I met him. I sensed since day one that he is doing the internal discernment dance, that he may be on his way to becoming a pastor. I could have told him myself. But I’ve been waiting for him to feel it and know it enough to say it. I’ve been waiting a year and a half to hear him say it aloud, to hear those words moving on his breath

When he told me that night of this possible direction in his life I thought and I said several many things. But what I most remember saying is: "Then you have to finish college and you have to get a Masters degree."

He said "Why?"

I'm afraid my response was less than satisfactory.

The next day I wrote to a trusted friend, an Episcopalian priest who I first knew decades ago, who was at that time in her own discernment process, and who is now a priest in Oklahoma. I gave her the sketchiest of backgrounds, and asked her to give me my answers to his question: Why?
Backgound: This young man goes to a church that is evangelical and fundamental and probably mostly Hispanic and I doubt that there is any denominational affiliation. I think his uncle is his pastor. He is totally involved in his church life. [Again shaming me for my own lax attendance at Mass.] I've spent hours listening to him tell stories about his church – how worship and his church-family center his life. It was a huge, huge exception for him to open up his business on a Sunday evening after church to give [Blank Blank Hollywood Celebrity] access to his expertise a few weeks ago. I don't know and I could be wrong but I kind of doubt that any pastor he knows has the whole college and seminary training path in his background. This is not a bad thing, it just is what is.
I do know that I’m not the only one of his clients or customers or friends or family members who has suggested he get himself to school. And no, I don’t think it’s necessary for everyone, and yes college is wasted on many, college is overrated, college is overpriced, college is blah blah blah. But for him? Degree yourself, hermano menor. Anyway, here’s how my Rector of Choice replied:
Hmmmmm. Why does a priest/pastor need to be educated? Probably has a lot to do with the kind of denomination and church where the ministry will take place. Most Episcopalians are well-educated, so it would be hard to be an Episcopal priest and not be well-educated.

But also, as an Episcopal priest, I'm expected to know all kinds of things I would have a hard time picking up on my own – besides knowing theology, scripture, church history and polity, etc, etc, I have to know about management, psychology and human development. I need to know how to put together educational programs. I need to have finely tuned diplomatic skills. I need to know how to handle human "cremains" (HATE that word!), get bats out of the building, and drain the boiler. I have to be able to relate to PhDs and toddlers. I would have a really hard time doing this without my seminary education [Sewanee], but on the other hand, I had a friend in seminary who was a 60-something boat builder from the Gulf who never went to college, and only spent a semester in seminary. Terry was called to be a chaplain on an Indian Reservation in Alabama. He didn't have a BA or MDiv, but he was the most Jesus-like soul I ever met, and his people didn't miss the degrees.

In a different denomination with a different structure, the pastor may not be expected to do most of those things. In some churches, all the preacher really does is preach and pray with people.

In some churches, the only thing the preacher is expected to know well is the Bible, and in fact, the church may be leery of the study of theology and other traditional seminary subjects.

In a lot of non-denominational churches, the pastor/preacher has a day job too.

So I guess maybe the real question is, why do YOU think he needs more education?

It may not be required in his religious world, but maybe it's because you know the value of having it for it's own sake, about how much it opens up your world?

Maybe you sense that he needs to do that for his own sake?

I have a feeling this isn't really just ticking a box on your list of things to do before ordination. It's somehow more than that.

Not to pigeonhole him, or limit him, not to assume anything about someone I don’t know, and regardless of anything I’ve already said, if he's an evangelical and Hispanic, it wouldn't hurt to suggest he go talk to someone at Fuller. They have all kinds of programs and an Hispanic Center.

M.A.+
See why she’s my long-distanced pastor? I haven’t seen her since her ordination, back in South Bend, but I still seek her out when I need an answer. And I’m pretty sure I make a much-needed appearance on her personal prayer list from time to time.

And hey. Discernment? Calling? Ministry? Pastoring? There are all kinds of ministries, all kinds of pastoring. Even an honest businessman doing honest business can be a witness for the Holy.

However this goes, what ever he does or does not do -- MDiv? MBA? Neither? Both? -- I’m glad, thank God, I'm glad I'm called to be here, if only to watch, to break bread, to listen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could send this one in to Christianity Today. Or somewhere....
Sister Punkie

contento said...

Thanks, Sister Punkie. Don't be so anonymous. With which Order are you a Sister?