Thursday, January 8, 2009

Good Ship Lollypop

I just rated Bangkok Dangerous 4 yellow stars (Meaning: I Really Liked It) on NetFlix. I'm speaking of the Pang Brothers' original Bankok Dangerous, not the Pang Brothers' weak-sister remake with what'shisname, Nicolas Cage. Yeah I've seen it before. Wanted to see it again before watching the remake.

Admittedly the main character, Kong, is a sweetie in Bangkok Dangerous -- the orginal. But, he is a hit man. A hired killer. A murderer. There is an innocence to him, to be sure, but he deals death.

Netflix says that my 4-star rating of Bankok Dangerous suggests new recommendations, among which is Shirley Temple: The Early Years.

Hey, I'm a fan of Shirley Temple too. Like Kong, the hit man, she is a sweetie. Unlike Kong, Shirley tap dances. Or soft shoes. Kong kills. And Shirley sings. Kong is mute.

C'mon, NetFlix. Tweak your algorithm. Or whatever it is that matches my star ratings to your suggestions. That's a hefty leap from contract killer to curly top.

___________________
Spoiler Alert and Update: I did watch the remake. I'm generally neutral on the Nick Cage thing. Still, alotta fast-forwarding occurred when watching him in this one. He couldda been the deaf mute in the remake, or put that bullet in his own head in the first scene rather than the last, and nothing much would have been lost.

No comments: