Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Marco Rubio and The Border

Our legal immigration system must continue to welcome those who seek to embrace America’s blessings and abide by the legal and orderly system that is in place. The American people have every right to expect the federal government to secure our borders and prevent illegal immigration. It has become all too easy for some in Washington to ignore the desperation and urgency of those like the citizens of Arizona who are disproportionately wrestling with this problem as well as the violence, drug trafficking and lawlessness that spills over from across the border.
States certainly have the right to enact policies to protect their citizens, but Arizona’s policy shows the difficulty and limitations of states trying to act piecemeal to solve what is a serious federal problem.  From what I have read in news reports, I do have concerns about this legislation.  While I don’t believe Arizona’s policy was based on anything other than trying to get a handle on our broken borders, I think aspects of the law, especially that dealing with ‘reasonable suspicion,’ are going to put our law enforcement officers in an incredibly difficult position.  It could also unreasonably single out people who are here legally, including many American citizens.  Throughout American history and throughout this administration we have seen that when government is given an inch it takes a mile.
I hope Congress and the Obama Administration will use the Arizona legislation not as an excuse to try and jam through amnesty legislation, but to finally act on border states’ requests for help with security and fix the things about our immigration system that can be fixed right now – securing the border, reforming the visa and entry process, and cracking down on employers who exploit illegal immigrants.   --Marco Rubio
Does anyone speak more sanely than Marco Rubio?
Hey. I travel the border every summer. I don't cross. Don't want to. Don't need to. I'm not shopping and I'm not looking to eat in Mexicali or San Luis, or Sonoyta or Nogales or Naco or Agua Prieta or Juarez or Guadalupe Bravos or Ojinaga or Santa Elena or Castolon. But I see the border towns -- from this side. Don't know why, but the frontera calls me.
The separation seems so essential in thought and so arbitrary in reality. I don't pretend to make any sense of it. Though I thought going to look at it would clarify things for me. Didn't. Doesn't. Maybe this year it'll all make sense.
I see the fence -- where it exists. It seems obscene 
I see the fence -- where it exists. It seems appropriate.
There're tons'o'crossings, both ways, every day. Every day people going on about their every day lives. Workers and shoppers and families visiting. Alotta the pre-9/11 free'n'easiness that I'm told used to be is now gone. No more row-boating across the Rio in Big Bend National Park -- ending decades (face it, centuries) of normal, cordial, daily human back'n'forthings -- new restrictions adding hardship to the meager commercial lives of the Mexicans who used to sell their wares to wandering and curious travellers.
No one likes it. Not the Park Rangers. Not the Park visitors. Not the vendors. Not the row-boat rowers. Not me.
I see the Border Patrol -- both stationary and rolling -- from Calexico to El Paso del Norte and beyond. I get stopped by Border Patrol multiple times every summer. I get asked questions. Clearly gringoish, I've never had to produce documents, but guess what? When I head out from the compound, I pack my passport every summer. I tote my documentation, fully expecting to need to show it -- just in case I need to prove I get to stay this side.
I've not been treated uncordially. Ever. Showing my docs would not be a burdensome requirement.
I'm hard-assed about the border. Enforce the law, goddamnit.
I'm soft-hearted about the border. Were I not born here, I'd be bringing my family across by hook or by crook. Catch me when you can.
That's all that repeated visits have taught me.
Of course on this page I'm pretty successful at ignoring violence, drug trafficking and lawlessness perpetrated by thugs.
Were I not born here, I'd be bringing my family across by hook or by crook. Catch me when you can. I'm soft-hearted about the border.
But other than that, I'm hard-assed about the border.
Enforce the law, goddamnit.

_____________________________________________

Read the bill here.

2 comments:

Soloman said...

Rubio's comments generally make sense, but it bothered me to read his words;

"From what I have read in news reports, I do have concerns about this legislation."

He should have read the legislation before offering commentary. It's only 17 pages and available online, and one of the biggest complaints about our current Congress is their inability to read a bill.

That being said - I still support him over Charlie Crist every day of the week.

contento said...

You're right, Soloman. That sentence was a yellow flag here too. ... Me? I still plan to vacation and support the economy of Cochise County for as many days as possible this summer. While some of my beloved idiot friends are "boycotting" a state they never visit anyway, I'll be heading back to the Chiricahua mountains for my annual stay.