Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sports Sunday -- Dean Potter, The Aerialist


In his own words:
I do turn into quite the sloth. I’m saving every last bit for the send, and often I won’t talk. I go into a ­meditative bubble. Everything I eat, I’m imagining the food dissolving and going into the right muscles. I was in a similar state in 2002 when I free-soloed Super Couloir and made the first ascent of California Roulette on Patagonia’s Fitz Roy. I lived in a cave because I couldn’t deal with normal inter­action. I couldn’t deal if I saw fear in somebody else—if they feel it, it enters me.
The Aerialist, Dean Potter.
Read the whole story in Outside Magazine. July 2011.

Photographer Jeff Cunningham
In Jeff’s, words, “it was a beautiful day in Yosemite. Dean had a high line set up there that he measured as somewhere between 99 to 100 feet. He had walked the line leashed a few times when I saw him untying from the tether. I figured he was just taking a break. Instead, he stepped up to the line and started walking it with confidence and determination. It’s hard to imagine what it must feel like walking across a rope with over a thousand feet of air below, but it was obvious to me that Dean was exactly where he was supposed to be…”


No comments: